About

Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 1: I want tomatoes and sugar.

Yesterday was really frustrating. As a celiac, I'm used to going to the grocery store and not going through most of the sections because I can't eat it. I can have all of the produce, any juice, canned veggies/fruit, and I know a good section of potato/corn chips I can have. There's even a small gluten free section I can pick from if I felt like it. But that's all changed with starting up the Elimination Diet.

The Elimination Diet:
A special diet used by doctors to discover whether certain foods are making someone ill. It involves not eating foods that might be causing the problem until later, when you add individual items back into your diet.

My mom has done this, my friend Tim has done this. And I'm still consistently getting sick, even when on a strict gluten free diet. So this leads me to believe that I'm allergic to something on top of gluten. After getting the sheet of safe and eliminated foods, I delayed. Thanksgiving: delay. Christmas: delay. New Years Eve: delay. Recover from New Years Eve food poisoning: delay. And now I have to do this.



Day 1 was pretty much all about being hungry and confused. I may have had a temper tantrum for the first time in years. I now know I'm going to need to carry veggie sticks and nuts everywhere with me, since I'm not a happy camper when I don't get my blood sugar levelers.

Plan for the week:
- breakfast: smoothies, baked apples, stewed apples, breakfast rice, fruit, nuts
- snacks: chickpea dip, apples with almond butter, nuts, fruit leather
- dinner: vegetable curry bake, mexican wraps with lettuce, brown rice salad, and regular salad.

Debating which item to add back into my diet first after two months of this boring mass. Sugar? Then I could make sweets! Or should I add eggs, and then I can make real breakfasts? Should I add tomatoes? Then I could make stews, sauces and much more!

Suggestions? Help? I mean, c'mon and look what I can't eat:



Eliminated Foods:
Beef, Pork, Octopus, Shrimp, Squid, Tofu, Fruit Juices, Liquor, Soy Milk, Black Tea, No Dairy or Eggs, Peanuts, White Rice, Iceburg Lettuce, Corn, Eggplant, Mushrooms, Peppers, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Banana, Canteloupe, Coconut, Grapefruit, Mango, Oranges, Peaches, Pineapple, Strawberries, Tangerines, Watermelon, Butter, Sunflower Oil, Ghee, Cayenne, Chili Powder, Chocolate, Garlic Powder, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Molasses, Salt (Iodized/Low Sodium), Sugar (White/Brown), Vinegar (Balsamic/White). 

I mean come on. They even advise against drinking tap water.


No comments:

Post a Comment